Monday, November 4, 2013

North Pond

"Crow at North Pond"
12" x 12" encaustic on panel


The colors of autumn are breathtaking to me and I just can't get enough. Every day (weather permitting) I walk my dog and have been overwhelmed by the beauty of nature, hidden within an urban setting. The North Pond Nature Sanctuary is my usual walk, the loop around the pond from my apartment is 2 miles and I try to do it twice a day. Walking around the pond takes me to a wonderfully tranquil place. Today I couldn't help but notice how the colors have become even more golden, less green and I had to take more photographs.

The pond is such a change from my walks along the beach when I lived in New England. I have decided I am more inspired by the autumn foliage than the ocean, at least for now I have dozens of paintings waiting to happen. 

Photos from today's walk -



6 comments:

  1. Wow, I can see why you're inspired. Glorious color, my maples' yellow leaves are on the ground already--I think it's due to lots of rain this summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a feeling after tomorrow the yellows will be gone, rain is on the way tonight.

      Delete
  2. Sure the pond is inspiring, but how do you manage such intricate work on the trees! I enlarged and studied it for a long time, left in awe :-))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Padmaja, using a layer of textured wax followed by oil pastel details allows for the intricate details but the texture definitely starts with the painted wax.

      Delete
  3. Chicago has always been a beautiful city to my eyes. Between architecture, the lake, and the trees...I so enjoy trips downtown when I am in the mood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next painting project for me happens to be architecture - the incredible gothic Wrigley building and Tribune Tower. I took photos a few weeks ago and needed to get some autumn foliage paintings out of my system before I could move in this direction.

      Delete