Tuesday, August 12, 2014

End of a Series

"Approaching Michigan Avenue"
30" x 30"
mixed media encaustic on panel


How do you know when a series is complete? For me, a year ago I started challenging myself to work larger with the encaustic medium and shortly after I moved to Chicago, I started photographing places I visited in the city. It was a huge contrast from the landscapes I painted when I lived in New England, and I was determined to combine elements of nature in between skyscrapers, concrete, and urban chaos. I have now completed a series of larger cityscapes (you can see them on my website here) and I am ready to move onto the next thing....

...the next thing, for me, happens to be encaustic monotypes. Watercolor was the only medium I worked with for over 20 years and working on paper feels natural and connected to my past. Being able to use much thinner layers of encaustic paint, fusing directly to paper without a torch or heat gun, allowing translucent qualities of the paint to build the composition layer upon layer, all brings me back to my love of watercolor techniques. I am sure I will continue to photograph places I visit, and maybe the large cityscape paintings will continue, but not until after I play around with the monotype process!

5 comments:

  1. Quite an achievement this series, it looks lovely! The monotypes seems like an equaly exciting process, look forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Working larger was definitely a challenge, padmaja. It will be fun taking the same goals into the monotype process.

      Delete
  2. Absolutely stunning piece, Robin. Love that the Hancock building is highlighted and framed out by the trees in the foreground. I always look forward to seeing what you have happening in your work!! I think I've been to the Woodstock Old Court House building in Woodstock for another show that another blogger friend participated in. I think it is time for another visit!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you do go to the Real People show, let me know what you think. Also, I would love to know if there are other encaustic pieces in the show, and know that my small self portrait that is not typical of the land inspired paintings that I am usually working.

      Delete
  3. Will do, Robin. I think I'll head up this weekend, though not sure of which day yet. Depends on whether I need to babysit for my oldest daughter.

    ReplyDelete