Monday, April 28, 2014

Lake Shore Drive
photo taken yesterday


Every where I go, I look at the Chicago architecture and I continue to be in awe. I want to paint buildings and angles and combine nature with the urban settings, in order to soften the feeling of the city created in my art. I hope I can do justice to this photo once transferred into wax. The first version will be 18" x 24", and then I plan on using the same image to photo transfer onto a 30" x 40" board (largest single encaustic piece to date). I hope to start preparing the panel tomorrow.

In the meantime, I taught an encaustic workshop on Saturday at the North Shore Art League in Winnetka, IL and it sounds like I will be offering a weekly encaustic class in the fall. More information will be available this summer on their website (and mine).

I also received an email from the gallery director at Chicago Art Source on Friday informing me that two of my paintings were included in the International Art, Antique, and Jewelry show at Navy Pier this past weekend. The gallery teamed up with the Susan Fredman interior design group and although my paintings seemed to be more of an accessory to the furnishings, it was incredible publicity in a fantastic place that I did not expect. When things like this happen, I remind myself why a gallery gets 50% of an art sale, they provide exposure in places I can not get to on my own.

Full booth shot


Gallery shot, my work on the left of the wall sculpture



4 comments:

  1. I could recognize your pieces next to the sculpture, looking great! Look forward to the new work, it is an amazing shot Robin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations all around, Robin! I too love Chicago's architecture. I still spend a lot of time looking up when I am downtown, which I have not been in about 8 years. I'm due for an Art Museum visit one of these days and I know my eyes will be up.

    And might I add that I want that coffee table in the last photo??? Wish I'd known about the Navy Pier thing; I could have gone down there this past weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh- your work is beautiful in that setting! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's really good exposure Robin! Way to go. The sculpture that you're neighbors with is really cool too!

    ReplyDelete