Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Full Circle

"Kinzie Street Bridge"
18" x 24" 
encaustic mixed media on panel


I completed the painting above several weeks ago. It is part of my series of Chicago locations that continue to inspire me since moving back to the city. Where ever I go, I take photographs, transfer images, and paint them into wax medium, but something new has started to take hold of my creative juices.... encaustic monotypes.

"Pastoral"
8" x 8" 
encaustic monotype on paper


"Pastoral"
ghost print



"Sand"
8" x 8"
my first encaustic monotype on paper



ENCAUSTIC MONOTYPES

I attended the encaustic conference the beginning of June and it's taken me about a month to process what I learned. I had to purchase an anodized aluminum plate (with a larger one on the way) and for the first time in my life I have started making one of a kind prints using wax. I decided to add these new works to my website and included a description of the process -

Encaustic monotypes are created with an anodized aluminum plate. The wax is applied on a hot plate in order to transfer the wax image onto paper. A monotype is one of a kind, a unique piece of artwork. It is the simplest form of printmaking, requiring only pigments, a surface on which to apply them, paper and some form of press.

The printing process is quick and spontaneous, plus it requires advanced planning. In many ways, it reminds me of watercolor painting and some of my first prints feel like watercolor washes to me. It's funny that years later I am back full circle painting and using new techniques connecting with the same old basic principles of watercolor. Composition, color, and translucency. 

6 comments:

  1. I used to work at the Merchandise Mart and your post instantly reminded me of the Kinzie Chop House right on the corner of Kinzie and LaSalle (I believe that was the bounding street). Awesome food and nice atmosphere. At least back when I was last there about 7 or 8 years ago. I love the piece! The monotypes do not have the same level of interest for me, but I sure do love the mix of colors on your "Sand" piece!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was not aware of this technique, thanks for sharing, they look so good!Love them all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you'll do more monotype work... I like what you've done so far! A long time ago I did some watercolor monotypes - I love the immediacy of it and the fact that you 're not sure exactly what you're going to get!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deborah, monotypes remind me of watercolor washes and I love how freeing the process is. I have been torn between 2 different bodies of work and I am going to spend the next few days with monotypes (after I blog about new mixed media paintings).

      Delete
  4. I love all of these but your Kinzie Street Bridge is BEYOND INCREDIBLE! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I submitted Kinzie Street Bridge to a national juried show and won't know if it was accepted until August but the theme of the show was the urban landscape... something I am immersed in right now. Fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete