Monday, October 6, 2014

Encaustic Monotypes and Upcoming Shows

"Dragonfly"
16" x 22" on Rives heavyweight paper



"Whirlwind"
16" x 22" on Vellum 



"Ornamental Grass"
19" x 26" on Rives heavyweight paper


Using the encaustic medium on paper brings me back to a familiar creative place, very much like working with watercolor on paper. For me, there is a similar use of color, airy application of paint, and the ability to create fine details with brushwork. I have been embracing the many varieties of paper, each has it's own unique qualities. As I continue to build a larger body of encaustic monotypes, I can see my love of landscape and nature re-emerging.

Other news - I received notification that one of my large cityscapes, "S-Curve",  was accepted into the 57th Mid States Competition at the Evansville Museum of Art, History and Science. 57 pieces were accepted from the 400 submitted. More information is available on the museum website - http://www.emuseum.org

"S-Curve"
30' x 40" mixed media on panel


And my painting "Ripples" is currently on display in Miami at the International Encaustic Artists Opened Juried Show in the Audrey Love Gallery, show information available here - http://www.international-encaustic-artists.org/Devil-In-a-Straight-Line

"Ripples"
22" x 16" on Rives lightweight paper


Holiday shows are next on my agenda, followed by a solo show at the North Shore Art League next February. One of the important things I have learned since relocating in the Midwest is to keep chugging along, and that there are always new exhibition opportunities if you are willing to do the work.

No comments:

Post a Comment