Wednesday, April 29, 2009

how do you judge art?


The ongoing question I will never have an answer to, how do you judge artwork and decide what is accepted to a show, and what should win awards?

Every time a judge is brought in to jury a show, that judge is going to have an idea of what they want the show they put together to look like; I try to remind myself of this every time I submit to a juried show. Some artists actually find out more about the judge and what their preferences might be. I have never done that... but I do know certain art associations lean toward certain art styles. Cambridge is more abstract and edgy, Marblehead not so abstract. (these are just my opinions, and I am no judge!)

Last week I found out I was rejected from the Cambridge Art Association open regional show, disappointing because I was in the show last year, and the same day I found out I was accepted and even won an honorable mention award at the Marblehead Arts Association regional show. Each of these shows had an underlying theme, and each judge had their personal preferences.

I also think to win awards you have to be a little bit lucky too. :)

Above is my award winning painting in the Marblehead show - "Valley Sunrise"

1 comment:

  1. Hi Robin - thanks for following my blog!

    I can see why this painting won an award... it has lots of movement and lovely warm glow. Looking forward to seeing more!

    ReplyDelete