Monday, August 8, 2011

Balancing Act

Ever since I started using my photographs and combining them with encaustic paints, I have been more aware of details in a composition. Today I was able to complete another mixed media work. 

"Early Morning" (Cortona), 14" x 11" encaustic image transfer


It was important to me to leave some of the photograph alone, (without any wax textures), and to find a balance between the flat surfaces of the photo combined with the textured surfaces of the wax. Every time I transfer an image into wax medium, it is always a balancing act. Sometimes less of the photograph is showing depending on how much pigment I add with encaustic paint, but I am always creating the key composition elements from one of my photographs that inspired me.

My summer has definitely been focused on encaustic paintings and image transfers although I am still teaching watercolor painting in the fall at Montserrat College of Art. I received notification today that a painting I submitted to the New England Watercolor Society was accepted into their annual juried exhibition. I am pleased to be a part of this exhibit, although I will have a two hour drive to the "hand delivery only" drop off and pick up location in Westfield, MA. If you are interested in seeing the show or want to know more about the exhibit you can visit the NEWS website.

5 comments:

  1. So much in this piece just grabs my attention. It is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robin- This is STUNNING! So different from some of the other works you've showcased, yet still you. I absolutely love it.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Sherry.

    Hi Pam, I was able to focus on one of my "city" photographs which led me into this angular perspective. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is really beautiful. Congratulations on your painting's acceptance.

    ReplyDelete