Monday, June 18, 2012

When a negative becomes a positive

It was an artful weekend, both days I was able to paint without interruption (probably because both of my daughters left early Saturday morning for their summer jobs and I will be an empty nester for the next 2 months). Sunday morning I went to IKEA to purchase more of the shadowbox frames needed to display the small encaustic paintings only to discover they are no longer making the 6" x 6" size. Because these paintings are so small it is important they be presented in a way that enhances the work. I ended up purchasing several of the larger 9" x 9" shadowboxes, the only size they are carrying now.

The good news is I actually think the paintings look better matted and with more empty white space vs. floated on a white background without a mat. What do you think?

Large and small frame


Both paintings in the larger 9" x 9" frame



New Poppy paintings 



I have quenched my artistic thirst for painting flowers, at least for the time being.

10 comments:

  1. You're absolutely right--they look better, and I like the black. So you're poppied out? The poppies are bright beauties.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely was poppied out Monday morning... but it's a new day! Actually my next/current project aside from framing is painting an encaustic tryptic, 3 scenes from Tuscany. I did also purchase the larger frame in white although I am wondering now if I should just stick with all black. Hmmm.

      Delete
  2. These flowers are so very cheerful, the best way to brighten up your mood is to go for flowers I feel, whether they are on your canvas or in your garden:-)
    I think mat adds extra dimension and class.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely wanted the colors to convey happiness, what better way to do that then with brightly colored flowers. When someone hangs a painting of flowers in their home it always reminds me of a permanent garden or flower arrangement. :)

      Delete
  3. I think they look magnificent both ways, Robin. I think I like them better without the mat, but of course, that is just merely a matter of my taste. I still think these floral pieces are truly beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately I have some of the smaller frames remaining but as I continue to make new work I now have no choice but to use the larger frames. I am going to experiment with different frames now my options have changed. Change is good.

      Delete
  4. Robin, I like the larger mats. Partly because at one time I owned a frame shop and a larger frame meant more money, but I also think it makes the work look more expensive. The other thing is they separate the work from the frame which can over power the painting. Check out museums, you will see they often use oversize mats.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Eva. I only increased the price with the larger frame by $10, I still feel the appeal with these small works is the affordable pricing. I agree though, there needs to be empty space to allow the work to be easier to focus on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your poppies are beautiful. I like the larger frame also. It makes the artwork feel more important.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the feedback, Nancy. I am getting used to the idea of the larger frames and hope to continue developing a new body of this smaller "more important" work!

    ReplyDelete