Sunday, April 7, 2013

Art News

Between organizing and preparing for my upcoming moving sale (now scheduled for May 4) it's hard to even think about the art world. However, last week I had a bit of good news... all 3 of my mini-works on paper submissions were accepted into a national show at Jacksonville State University.

Each piece is 3.5 x 2.5, the show requires work to be matted (not framed) in plain 8 x 10 or 11 x 14 matts. I have never presented my small works this way until now and may start using matts instead of shadowbox frames going forward.



I don't have a photo of the 3rd piece in the matt, here it is alone -


My other bit of news is a few months ago I had submitted my contact information on the Dick Blick website in hopes I would be selected to be a featured artist in one of their catalogs. I received a call from them on Friday and have been chosen to be featured on the back cover of the summer issue of Watercolor Artist magazine! I will have a copy of the ad once it has been finalized and I look forward to purchasing a copy of the magazine once it's released.

The best things happen when you least expect them.

Painting chosen for the ad -
"Lunar Eclipse"


9 comments:

  1. Wow, the Lunar Eclispe is mind blowing Robin, no wonder it was ackowledged in a special way, you are very right, the least you hang on, the most you receive, the selected min works look lovely too! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lunar Eclipse was a very important beginning of my full moon series, padmaja, but it is now almost 10 yrs old and I rarely think to promote it anymore. It was chosen by the senior graphic designer, not me.

      Delete
  2. These little works are beautiful matted, Robin. I love the big clean space all around that just brings your eyes to the images. Congratulations on being chosen for the Blick ad too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Sherry, the clean extra space helps to bring your eyes to focus on the tiny work. I am definitely going to change my presentation once I have settled and found a new framer in Chicago.

      Delete
  3. Great news all around, Robin...congrats!

    btw I love my set of moon notecards... doesn't matter how 'old' that series is, each piece is still fascinating to look at and they such a zen quality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. someone once told me, what is old to me (the creator) is still new to someone that has never seen my work before.

      Delete
  4. Congratulations on all the great news! I'm sure it is a welcome distraction from all the preparation that goes into such a huge move.

    -Don

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on being chosen for the Dick Blick ad. I can understand why they chose your piece. It is very exciting. I also love the deep mats around your art. It gives them a look of importance, which they are!
    Sorry, I've been so lack in commenting.I haven't been tending to my blogger friends and that is not forgivable! My bad :O(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Been so distracted, Don, that I forgot to respond to your comment until now! I am in the midst of yard-sale mania and will have time to breathe after next Saturday.

    Eva, I have tried to comment on your blog but ever since you changed the layout it won't accept my comments. Making time for blogging is time consuming for me too so I can totally relate to lapses... but it's always nice to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete