Monday, March 24, 2014

Marsh Grass

"Marsh Grass" 
30" x 60" encaustic on panel



The safest way to store large paintings is by hanging them... and so that is how my newest work is shown above. I have to admit the colors and fabrics in my living room inspired the painting, both earth tones and linear shapes as I re-created the tranquility of an early misty morning at the marsh. I have always strived to bring the beauty of nature into my art and home. I used the same translucent watercolor wash techniques when I applied encaustic pigments and medium.

I am also planning on reworking several of my large watercolor landscapes by adding layers of wax textures, then framing under glass and spacing the matt in order to prevent the wax from touching the glass. Motivation is coming from my summer show schedule and the opportunity to exhibit large mixed media works. So far, I have committed to weekend festivals in May (1) and June (will choose 1 of 2), still waiting to hear about one more show in August.

Inspiration comes and goes in spurts, right now lots of it is coming my way and I just want to embrace it all.

Charlie on the couch

6 comments:

  1. It looks like this set is custom made for this area, all colors are in harmony and the continuous design gives a panoramic view. Look forward to those value added water colors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think these are the largest pieces I've ever seen you do, Robin. They are absolutely breathtakingly stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these paintings and they look stunning in your home setting. Once you sale them, you'll have to come up with something new! Just gorgeous. And Charlie is a doll!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely room that must be to walk in to, with the addition of your paintings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone for all your feedback. I did want to create the feeling of harmony and serenity in the painting which then carries over into where ever the painting hangs. I also have new goals of working larger and I will have to figure out another way to safely store finished work because I will be running out of hanging space soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look perfect "in place." Amazing work, Robin.

    ReplyDelete