Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Slow Recovery

About 2 weeks ago I had the best time in New Orleans and then off to Cajun Country, so much fun that when I came back to Chicago I was sick with high temperature, bronchitis, and total exhaustion. I am still not up to my usual high energy self but I finally did feel well enough to get back to painting.

The French Quarter
2.5 x 3.5 encaustic on board


At this point I have only painted from one of my photos taken in front of Muriel's, my favorite restaurant in the quarter, adjacent to Jackson Square. The horse and buggy walking past Muriel's combined with the french inspired architecture is the epitome of the Quarter for me. I am sure I will want to work larger with many of the photos I have from my recent trip.

I also visited my old neighborhood a few days ago and could not get over how big the trees have gotten, and how small the houses were. My childhood memories are filled with playing on the street with the neighborhood kids, climbing trees, and rolling in the grass. I never noticed the houses or their size when I was growing up. It was an eery feeling to see where my home once stood ... it is now replaced with a McMansion that looks totally out of place with the rest of the street. The trees were bare, beautiful, and still cozy, and I had to paint them.

"Birchwood Memories"
8 x 8 encaustic on cradled panel


I am starting to hear back from the weekend art festivals I applied to participate in as an exhibitor this summer. The only definite yes I have received at this point is in Winnetka, IL on June 21 - 22. The North Shore Art League sponsors an "Art in the Village" event, (it is also where I will be teaching starting next month). 

I applied to another show in Evanston, and one other in Deerfield. I missed the cutoff in January for the biggest show sponsor, Amdur Productions Next year I will be more punctual with my applications.

6 comments:

  1. The three dimensional perspective and the attractive red in the first one looks fabulous Robin..nice that you got back to your creativity, that is one sure way to get better soon, take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a fine line between the photo realism and the colorful impressionism in this small one, padmaja, but the key is perspective, thanks.

      Delete
  2. Both pieces are gorgeous, Robin. For some reason, I thought you grew up in Chicago. You've been all over and it sounds like your trip was wonderful. So sorry to hear you've been sick though. I've had bronchitis several times and I know how miserable it is; hope you are feeling better and better each day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I grew up in a north shore suburb, Sherry, but lived in the city after college and during early yrs of marriage.

      Delete
  3. I hope you're feeling better today! 'French Quarter' looked like an abstract to me at first glance. Only on the second look did the buildings and horse and carriage emerge. I love that... made me look really closely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hard to believe but after week 2 recovering from bronchitis I am still not 100%. The French Quarter painting is small and I was concerned the details were not enough contrast but wanting to take a 2nd look and think about what you see is kind of the point of these small mixed media pieces. Thanks for the input, Deborah.

    ReplyDelete