Wednesday, April 14, 2010

3 Dimensionality

Self Portrait, 8 x 8 encaustic


My second encaustic portrait became a real challenge when I decided to use the wax to create a 3-dimensional feature, the nose. It's hard enough for me to look in the mirror but this became more of an experiment with the medium than it did on the accuracy of the finished portrait. I think I built up and melted down my face 3 or 4 times, each time I was risking loosing the image transfer. I had to fill in with the colored wax where the image started to dissolve. The other challenge with this project was trying to photograph the finished portrait; the 3-dimensionality of the nose created lighting challenges not to mention color distortions. I will want to try to continue building up the wax in future works but for now I have to switch gears in order to focus on writing my thesis paper.

4 comments:

  1. Ah yes... welcome to the world of 3d meets 2d... Keep pushing that envelope! Good luck with your thesis.

    -Don

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don, after I posted this, I thought about visiting some of my favorite blogs (yours being one) but I really am trying to get my thesis paper written before I have leisurely internet fun... and I thought about your new works with the 3-dimensional masks. It really is a challenge to photograph, isnt it? Pushing the envelope is what it's all about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fascinating technique. I keep telling myself to try encaustic. Your work certainly is inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Eva. I have had to concentrate on my thesis work but as soon as I finish everything, I am looking forward to working on new encaustic paintings. You really should look into a local or better yet, buy one of the informative books (The art of encaustic painting by Joanne Mattera is what I used to teach myself!)

    ReplyDelete