Monday, November 7, 2011

Space limitations

Today I brought "Pathways and Transition" to the Willow Community Gallery at Lynn Arts (it was hanging day for my solo show), only to discover there was not nearly enough wall space to include everything. What was I thinking? I setup and display work in a 10" x 10" show space regularly but this was much more challenging for me even though the space was larger at 12" x 25". Not leaving any breathing room between paintings made them all look terrible. 

Eventually I worked through the space problems (with the help of the gallery director) and tomorrow I will finish hanging, tweak a few other things, take photos, and probably obsess about details for another day. I have until the end of the week for the show to be completely setup.

Over the weekend I had worked on a large encaustic version of the Autumn Pond thinking it would be a nice addition to have in the show, especially this time of year. Unfortunately two of the pieces that had to be eliminated were the photo and watercolor versions of the pond.

"Autumn Pond", 18" x 24" encaustic on panel


Digital photograph, 16" x 20"


Watercolor on paper, 18" x 24"



3 comments:

  1. Hanging a show is a challenge, but worth it. I know it'll be perfect--you're right that breathing room is necessary. It would be hard to decide which of the above works gets to stay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful encaustic there, Robin! Wishing you joy and success at your show. I imagine it is going to be beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hallie, when I go back later this morning I am bringing 2 free standing easels, I am hoping I can fit everything without crowding the wall space.

    Sherry, hopefully I will get the space completely setup today and then I can share photos. Setting up the show is only half of the equation, next I will hope people come to see the work!

    ReplyDelete