Monday, August 2, 2010

fun weekend project

"Blossom", watercolor and sumi-e, 26 x 32


Recently I changed the comforter in my daughter's room and I wasn't happy with the way the wall above her bed looked so I decided to do a painting that matched her bedding - is this "taboo" for an artist to do? I wanted to create the same zen-like feeling in the painting that repeated the pattern in the comforter. I used one of her favorite colors (turquoise) combined with the simplicity of black ink brushwork. My dog also thought it was fun, he refused to move off the bed when I was taking photos! Gotta love Charlie.


My next project is going to be a landscape painting from one of the photographs I took when I visited Avery Island and I can tell I am just not ready to dig into it yet. I will know when it's time.

9 comments:

  1. It does have a very 'zen-like' feeling to it and I love the turquoise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job, Robin. It's not taboo at all. If it was, I'd be mighty guilty of tabooism. I haven't painted anything for a particular room, but there's not a room in our house that doesn't have some of my work hanging in it. (I'll admit, it's more of a necessity thing...)

    -Don

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nancy, hopefully my daughter will love it too, she has been away at overnight camp and hasn't even seen it yet!

    Don, I never like doing commission paintings and in a way this was an "easy to please" customer, me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Robin....NOTHING is taboo for an artist! Are you teaching at Montserrat?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, teaching watercolor painting on Thursday nights at Montserrat. I was going to post/blog about it as soon as the school website is updated with all the information (should be by the end of this week).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh- this is gorgeous! I love the turquoise with the black. It goes perfectly with the bedspread. I'm a huge fan of decorative arts- it is just another art form after all! :-) And thank you for the reciprocal following. I joined your blog because I like how you approach art.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Pamo. I will enjoy reading about you in your blog, I have seen you posting on many of the blogs I am following too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Robin, I am reminded of Tiffany boxes for some reason. This is truly beautiful and looks fabulous with your daughter's bedding. I also love that sugar cane painting below (green is my favorite color). I can't wait to come back and visit more. I love your work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful compliment, Autumn. I also love the color green - painting landscapes is one of my favorite subjects and green is essential. Looking forward to your visits.

    ReplyDelete