Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Landscape Revisited

Since moving to Chicago, my inspiration has slowly shifted from landscape to cityscape… but not really. I decided to revisit some of my favorite places in both New England and Chicago, places that have inspired my love for the natural world. I also want to focus on working larger now, below is my most recent work.

"Autumn at North Pond"
16" x 20"
mixed media


Capturing the autumn color palette was my primary inspiration, I also wanted to create three-dimensional details using wax and pigment to highlight the dangling branches and feathering grasses in the foreground.

In addition, I continue to paint small works (3.5 x 2.5) mounted and displayed in shadowbox frames, (I continue to sell these small wonders in both Boston and Chicago), each work is an intimate vignette from places I have been that are special to me.

"Blue Sky"


"River Rocks"


"Summer Shade"


New England will always rest in my mind as the epitome of gorgeous mountainous countryside, rolling meadows, hidden brooks, and rocky shores.

However, my fascination with the dark of night and city lights continues.

"City Lights"


8 comments:

  1. I love that burnt orange against the blue sky in the autumn piece! And your small works continue to have big impact. Looking at the photos I'd never think they were that small.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The color combo of sky and earth tones is my favorite, too. Thanks for the visit, Deborah.

      Delete
  2. City lights is my favorite of these, your smaller works have equal visual output as the bigger one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I connect with the small scale work, padmaja, it allows me to capture a big idea in a small space, an idea that is unique and special to me.

      Delete
  3. Robin, each of these pieces are truly exquisitely done and I would love to see you do more large pieces. With your work, I personally think bigger can only be better, more to love type of feeling. I love the piece I have from you and am going to see about another that I love right this minute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do plan on working larger, Sherry. I just had to survive a hectic 6+ months of getting settled in my new work space. If you are looking for something particular (something newer) it will not be in my Etsy shop but if you need information I can privately message you, just let me know.

      Delete
  4. The sky reflection in river rocks got me, and City Lights is dazzling. I am in awe of what you've accomplished in the past year, but nothing has surprised me. Keep those ducks in a row and march on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River Rocks is a favorite for me too although I want to continue working on city inspired night scenes, I am having fun with all of this new, local inspiration.

      Delete