Monday, September 17, 2012

Demo paintings

Saturday I was at the Copley Society in Boston demonstrating two different encaustic painting techniques in the upper gallery. It was a treat being able to answer questions, demonstrate examples of my work, and explain my processes. 

The first technique I demonstrated was an image transfer. I had 2 prepared panels ... a second panel as a backup with the image already transferred into the wax just in case I had a problem during the demo. I was able to complete both transfers today, can you notice the differences between the two works? I did not want them to be identical.

"Koi Pond 1", 8" x 8" 


"Koi Pond 2", 8" x 8"



The second technique I demonstrated was excavating a design into layers of colored wax. I also added colored inlays and today was able to better refine the design. 

"Watering Hole", 6" x 6"


I continue to be focused on developing the Topography series of encaustic paintings. Tomorrow I begin excavating a new design in a 12" x 12" panel that I prepared with layers of color today.

6 comments:

  1. The first two look like mirror images and will make a nice diptych, the second technique which will probably need special skills to engrave looks very perfect and beautiful with intricate designs.Enjoyed them both Robin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. padmaja, I also thought to put the mirror images together although in person there is a noticeable difference in background color and a slight difference in size because I did not use the same brand of wood panels for each. The abstract design is still my favorite, thanks for your kind comments.

      Delete
  2. I love the image transfers! And yes indeed, you can see the differences. Both are lovely though, Robin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a feeling you would prefer the image transfers over the abstract, Sherry!

      Delete
  3. I am so impressed with the Copley Society and that I "know" someone who gave a demo there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The demo was pretty casual, people came and went, and occasionally stayed to ask questions. Luckily I finished the pieces I started at the demo later (rather than ignoring them indefinitely!)

      Delete