Thursday, June 11, 2009

Encaustics

"Birches" - encaustic collage using birch and decorative leaf embellishments and of course, encaustic paint

getting read to add leaf embellishments to "Birches"

image transfer with paint layer, "Birches 2" (this may not be finished)


Tracy Spadafora - preparing for collage/paper demo

Finally, I understand what 'fusing' is, and why it is important in order to build layers with encaustic paintings. I spent yesterday at a post-conference encaustic workshop and learned about basic tools and techniques with encaustic paints. We worked primarily on collage techniques and image transfers. 

The workshop did not cover basic painting using colors but I think I should be able to figure that out just by doing it. Using wax as a medium inspires me to collage, something I have been having fun doing with my art cards. Today I need to get a griddle so I have a surface to melt the encaustic paints on, but I already had a pot for melting the wax medium. This is a whole new art inspiration for me, and I will see where it takes me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment