Monday, June 28, 2010

Lynn Beach Painters

Pastel by William Burpee, one of the artist members of the Lynn Beach Painters artist colony. This work is available at the Childs Gallery in Boston.
[Moonlight on Crashing Waves]
Artist:Burpee, William Partridge
American, (1846-1940)
Title:[Moonlight on Crashing Waves]
Date:
Media:Pastel on blotter
Dimensions:19 X 24 inches


This time of year in New England there is so much to do and with the 4th of July right around the corner, patriotism is everywhere. I am already anticipating and preparing for the Marblehead festival of Arts kick-off event this Friday, "Painting the Town". The last few days I have been trying to find a spot where I can paint scenes in nature that are local to the town of Marblehead but until I know what the weather is going to do, I won't be able to commit to what my art will need to do.

I was inspired this morning on my daily walk along the beach. I re-read the historical markers provided by the town all along Lynn Shore Drive. In the late 1800's and early 1900's there was an artist colony right here. These artists used to congregate, recapturing with paints on canvas impressionistic seascapes and landscapes. I decided to read about the history in more detail once I googled the Lynn Beach Painters and I am grateful to live in a part of the country with such rich, historical background. My creative process has always been inspired by the impressionists.

Walking along the beach also reminded me of the red rocks along the shoreline, and the tide pools with algae, and the wonders of nature. My plan (and the plan keeps changing daily) is to find a spot near the shoreline where I can focus on close-up detail. Friday morning all of the "plein air" painters meet for breakfast and at that point I will commit to my painting location.

No comments:

Post a Comment