Sunday, July 29, 2012

Afterthoughts: Encaustic workshop at Castle Hill

I am still processing all of the things I discovered last week in Laura Moriarty's workshop and have now been inspired with new ways to create landscape elements using encaustic techniques. One of my goals is to break down a landscape composition into abstracted form.

Untitled, 8" x 8"encaustic on panel


Excavating:
layered, contoured, inlayed, and scraped. I still plan on burnishing some of the excavated areas in order to have a smoother, cleaner surface.
Leaving the stain of the pigment on the edges of the cradled panel (seen below) was more appealing to me than leaving the drips of wax over the edges.


Sculpture:
We painted layers of flat and textured wax on a flat panel, then rolled and sliced in half. Laura invented this technique which she incorporates in many of her sculptural paintings.



Artifacts: 
these were created to be added into poured sculptural pieces.


After pouring layers of wax into a mold we could sculpt and burnish areas to expose various artifacts.


I prefer the green side up (above) as the top of the sculpture however it looks completely different if you flip over to the other side.


We had open studio time in the afternoon and I also experimented with rice paper, powdered charcoal, and the wax that was left on the griddle. These are just a few of the monotypes I created, each is 18" x 12". I may incorporate these into wax sculptures but I need more time to decide.


Then to top off an incredible art week, the last day of the workshop I received an email from the Copley Society informing me that my painting "Tempest" was the juror's choice 2nd place award in the upcoming Marine Art show

My head is still spinning!

"Tempest", 12" x 12" encaustic on panel



6 comments:

  1. You've been busy, Robin. You've learned some interesting effects for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats to be on the show! Tempest is a beautiful piece. I enjoyed all the pics, could get a detailed idea of what you have been up to, pretty cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read this yesterday--then read all about the Copley Society. I am so impressed with your award!

    I really like the sides of your panel and look forward to seeing wonderful pieces inspired by this class.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Learning new technique is always exciting, Sherry. I hoped sharing here would also excite and inspire others as well.

    Thanks, padmaja! One of these days I will create a short, beginner video to share.

    Hallie, I have to admit I submitted to the Marine show as an afterthought assuming the juror wouldn't be interested in a painting without figures sailing in a boat. Live and Learn. The side of the panel could have also been taped to remain "clean" but I also like the color stains from the wax.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Robin! Juror's choice on your beautiful piece is fantastic! You just keep racking up the awards- all well deserved. I'm so happy for you!

    These abstract pieces are delightful. I love the colors and texture and must say- you have a natural aptitude for abstract work. I find abstract art very hard to do and you do it well.
    These encaustics look LABOR INTENSIVE!!! Worth it though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am really enjoying abstract art for the first time, Pam. It's finally starting to click! I don't think it's labor intensive when you can get lost in the process and loose track of time, that's my favorite thing about making art.

    ReplyDelete