Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Koi Pond

I have been looking forward to painting an encaustic version of the Koi pond I saw when I was in Chicago 2 weeks ago. It was challenging getting the small lily details to scale; seems my brushes have been over-waxed and I will need to replace them soon. I also have to wear those drug store magnifying glasses in order to see clearly when I work this small. I am going to ask my eye doctor about prescription bifocals stronger than the ones I already have. Getting older definitely is not for wimps.



The other small work I managed to complete was inspired by the pond behind the Henry Farm Inn, Chester, Vermont. Chester is where I first met Jeanne Carbonetti, a watercolor artist who introduced me to the world of painting without rules!


Years ago I painted a watercolor version of the pond and sold it the first time it was in a show.


6 comments:

  1. Wow! Koi Pond is OUTSTANDING! I feel the depth of the image and the depth of the pool. I think the lilies are perfect. I don't know that you'd want any finer detail. The suggestion of detail often speaks louder than its true inclusion... at least, that's my thought on the matter. :)

    Sorry I haven't been around much lately. I realized how remiss I've been as I looked through all the posts I've missed. Yikes! Keep up the great work!

    -Don

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blogging is fun until it feels like an obligation and then that usually means it's time for a break. It's always good to hear your input, Don, and appreciate your visit.

      Delete
  2. I just love your encaustic pieces, Robin. The textures look amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The second piece took me all afternoon until the texture felt right to me, but creating textures and dimension with wax are the most appealing qualities for me as well.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you, padmaja. I may try doing a larger version at some point.

      Delete