Tuesday, September 1, 2009

more (smaller) landscapes







I found comfort in making encaustic art cards this afternoon, probably because they are easy and quick and in a way therapeutic for me. Not sure what happened to me wanting to relax into a large watercolor painting but I guess it's not time for me to do that yet.

This morning I had to move my studio space - from large and spacious to condensed and smaller (and less expensive) space. I knew there was no way everything I had would fit into the new space and I know when I have time to figure out a more creative way to store things it will be OK but for now I am 3/4 of the way done with this huge, somewhat chaotic move. So what did I want to do for relaxation when I got home this afternoon? I wanted to make more encaustic art cards! I think I am on to something here; I have my October show in mind. I am making these smaller encaustics to be mounted into the shadowbox frames I picked up this summer. I really want to offer a lower price point at the show, and I definitely want to show my encaustics.

My technique keeps improving too - I first print photos I took in the 3.5 x 2.5 size, then I burnish them into the wax medium on the card. Last thing I do is add colored wax to make the landscape image pop. I have been using mostly photographs I took at the bird sanctuary near my house but I know I have plenty of other photos to go through. I have less than 6 weeks before the show and with school starting (both teaching and being a student) time is going to fly by. Tomorrow, after I finish the studio move, I will frame these new cards. Slowly but surely this fall show will come together for me.

2 comments:

  1. Robin, I love every single one of these, especially the top one. I agree with you, you are definitely onto something here. Good luck with your studio move. I know how fun that can be... Happy Creating, -Don

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robin, these are absolutely exquisite! I'm sure they'll fly away at your show :)

    Moving... ugh! Hope you get the logistics of the smaller studio worked out soon.

    ReplyDelete