Friday, December 3, 2010

Wishful Thinking

It's a Friday in December, no matter where you go there are more people, more cars, and everything takes longer. The good news is, my creative juices are flowing. The bad news, I did not have the time to stay home and work on what could possibly become my next series of work. I had time to melt wax medium in my new 11 x 11 skillet early this morning. I had time to order more medium from the Dick Blick website, anticipating that I will need more than what's melted in the skillet. But life got in the way, I had to go out.


My skillet with melted wax medium, my hake brush (and holiday decorations)


Every morning when I walk my dog along the beach I am inspired. Sometimes I pull out the camera in my cell phone and take pictures because I see so many patterns and designs that it makes me want to re-create them. I think there is a delicate balance between what we see abstractly and what is actual reality. How can I re-create the illusion?



8 comments:

  1. Wow. Is this what you see when you're dog-walking? Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's never enough time. I see great potential in these sand/water patterns!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Walking the dog never looked so compelling. I love that you are finding such inspiration in these patterns. Too cool!

    I must say that I consider you quite the brave lady for having your art materials on what looks like the dining room table. If I tried that we'd be needing new furniture, and I'd be looking for a new home...

    -Don

    ReplyDelete
  4. Every day I take the same walk, every day I think about how I never felt inspired by seascapes, until now, but it's about the patterns I see.

    Hallie, the morning walk I take is always along the beach, sometimes it's shorter, but one of the reasons I got a dog that needed exercise was so that I would get some too! It's forced me to appreciate the ocean in new ways.

    Deborah, moving a little closer toward abstraction/patterns with the help of the encaustic medium seems to be a new direction I am flowing into.

    Don, I admit the wax was melting directly on my dining room table in that photo, but... if I knew I was going to sit down and paint I would have covered the tabletop with my painting cardboards and my dining room would have converted into my studio. It's been a challenge since I gave up my studio space last year but it works, I just have to be careful with the wax (watercolor is never an issue).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm also a beach-lover. It's an ephemeral environment that captures the imagination. You must love your walks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kathy, that's the thing about the beach, it's constantly changing, and beautiful. I have been consumed with the tide. Your recent Andy Goldsworthy posts were wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Robin, I'm back. After reading your response to my dining room table observation I decided to give the photo another look and I noticed something I want to caution you about. That extension cord may not be quite heavy-duty enough for the cooker. Do me a favor and feel it next time your using the cooker to see if it's getting warm. If it is, please get a heavier-duty one.

    Happy Creating!

    -Don

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Don. I have heavy duty cords... but I have never used them for my electric griddle (encaustic palette) or heat gun, and now this new skillet. I will switch over today. My landlord is probably thanking you too.

    ReplyDelete