Sunday, March 14, 2010

Tree Time

colorful washes with masking tape as a resist = fool proof lesson

We are working with a masking tape resist in Thursday night watercolor class. I like to teach this lesson because it allows the artist to focus on their use of watercolor washes and layering those washes without being inhibited or worrying about the details. Once the tape is placed on the paper the paint can be applied freely, then when the tape is lifted up the white paper only needs an additional wash so it is not as stark.

When we meet in class this week I will finish this painting by adding a few more touches - grounding the trees, a few more branch details, maybe adding white paint to better define the edges of the tree trunks. I will have to see if my students will allow me to share their works on this blog because I love how successful this lesson is.

No comments:

Post a Comment