Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Color... says it all

Autumn path, 24 x 18 watercolor (work in progress)

Yesterday I had to force myself to stop painting. I wanted to work on the demo from last week's class so that I could teach techniques beyond initial washes but when I get in the zone and have my table set up with lots of time to focus, it is almost impossible for me to stop!

I needed to add new color to the initial wash ... touches of blue for the sky, some greens, alizarin too, and I also wanted to add depth and set the composition with a few details (tree branches and grasses). I needed a horizon line where the path fades into the woods. Yes, this is another study from photographs taken at the bird sanctuary, and because I am so familiar with this place and the seasonal changes it feels like a needed exercise (practice is always good). I also referred to my encaustic version I painted from the same photograph. My current motivation and artistic drive is to recapture a moment in time, in a variety of mediums (the theme of my current body of work).

Looking at the painting this morning I think the branches are too dark on the right and I will have to find a way to break up the dark lines when I add fall foliage. I will sit with the painting as it is now, not letting myself do anymore work on it until class tomorrow night. I believe one of the best ways to learn is by watching it happen.

1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean about not being able to stop painting once you get into it. Even a growling stomach and bursting bladder don't do it!

    Those touches of blue intermingling with the foliage are just right. I like where this is going! I'm interested to see what you do with the branches on the right. I like the way they arch over the path, but I agree they could be broken up a bit.

    ReplyDelete