Monday, March 1, 2010

School, Work, and Making Art; it all ties together.

These are the actual works I will be using in my installation. The encaustic image transfers are shown followed by their photograph equivalent.
*You may notice the image transfer is the reverse of the original photo although I did alter some of the photographic details when I painted with wax.

Winter -
8 x 8 encaustic
16 x 20 photo
8 x 8 encaustic
20 x 16 photo
Autumn -
8 x 8 encaustic
20 x 16 photo
*this is the photograph I am using for my demo painting in the watercolor class I am teaching on Thursday nights. I will be posting updates on this work in progress in the next day or two now that my school weekend is over.
8 x 8 encaustic
16 x 20 photo
Summer -
6 x 6 encaustic
20 x 16 photo
24 x 18 encaustic followed by the first photograph of the series, 20 x 16


I spent the weekend in a music and voice class, the last class in my master's program, to be followed by a creative arts seminar, and then graduation in May. Even though we always get our syllabus weeks ahead of time, the things we are going to cover in class are never really clear until the first weekend. Between now and March 19 our biggest "assignment" is to create an installation that is a reflection of the assignments we have done the past year and a half, the art we have made, and the common thread that connects it all together. I have been able to open myself up to learning beyond my comfort zone, embracing new mediums without the fear of failure. I never would have considered a mixed media show of my work prior to graduate school.

My installation will include the large 16 x 20 photos of three seasons at the bird sanctuary and their counterpart of encaustic image transfers. I have decided not to include the watercolor paintings in this show because that is the one medium I was doing before I started graduate school and this show will be a sample of my artistic growth and courage to explore new mediums. I have decided to also include a zen fountain, a few inspirational books of poetry, and cushions for sitting and meditating in the space I am creating. The space needs to be interactive. We will be required to incorporate song and music (I am not prepared to blog about that at this point!) I know my goal will be to try to create sacred meditative space, surrounded by the nature theme of my artwork.

For me, this can be a practice show before the actual "professional" gallery show I am trying to put together. Who knew when I decided to bite the bullet and frame my photographs last week that I would be using them in 3 weeks rather than a year from now! I also know I need to learn more about the encaustic medium which is why I have enrolled in the annual encaustic conference taking place this June at Montserrat College of Art (where I am currently teaching in the continuing ed. department). Last year I missed the conference because it was a school weekend, but I did go to one post-conference workshop; this year I can do both.

encaustic conference information - www.montserratencausticconference.blogspot.com

1 comment:

  1. Hard work and perseverance are paying some nice dividends here. I wish I could be there to see your show in person. Good luck with getting everything done the way you want it. You are obviously a very organized person so I foresee it happening.

    -Don

    ReplyDelete