Sunday, August 9, 2009

6 day studio residency

After day 2, I finished both works, each is a 6 x 6 panel. The original photo is on the right, the encaustic painting is on the left.




After day 1, images are transfered into wax medium and ready for the addition of pigmented wax.


I finally had the time to work on more image transfers; I am in the middle of a 6 day studio residency (part of my school program) and our focus is on making art this week. I had taken photos from a walk through the bird sanctuary near my house recently knowing I would use the photos for encaustic image transfers but what I didn't know was that I would want to incorporate shades of green rather than sticking with black, brown, and white to add depth to these encaustic paintings.

Being in a class that has our focus on discovering ourselves, our 'secret selves' can be liberating as well as enlightening. I am always trying to be aware of my self and for the most part I am pretty transparent... there are no big secret personas hiding inside me.

Besides making art, we are doing self reflection and planning goals for the next year in this program. I never thought a year ago I would be so excited and focused on encaustics, it makes me wonder what I will be doing a year from now. There could be some kind of book inside me, waiting to be written (and illustrated) but it's too soon for me to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment